Nurse’s Corner

Welcome to the Nurse’s Corner! The students call me “Nurse Boyce”. I graduated from Neumann University and have over 10 years of experience in critical care and emergency department nursing, in the hospital setting. I joined the School District of Philadelphia in 2018 and truly enjoy working with students and families in our school community. Below you will find helpful information and links for health services. Please reach out to me if you have any questions, concerns or needs. I am here to help in any way I can!

Meghan Boyce RN, BSN, CSN
School Nurse SDP
George W. Sharswood School
2300 S 2nd St, Philadelphia, PA 19148
Office: 215-400-8270 ext: 2

Health Forms

If your child must have medication of any type during school hours, including over-the-counter medications, you must adhere to the following regulations, under state law:

1. All medicines brought to school must be in the original container.
2. All prescription medications must have a pharmacy label, stating student’s name, DOB, order information, etc.
3. No medicine can be accepted by school staff without a doctor’s order and written parent/guardian permission. (Doctor’s order must state “to be given in school”.)
4. Any medication (prescription or over-the-counter) to be given by the school nurse and/or other staff, must have a written order from the prescribing doctor and parent/guardian permission.
5. All medicines to be given by the school nurse or staff must be brought to the school by the parent/guardian and picked up when the medicine expires, is no longer needed, and at the end of the school year.
6. All medicine orders must be reviewed and signed off by the school nurse before other staff can administer. (e.g., inhalers or epi pens on trips.)
7. If your child is subject to unusual health hazards, such as allergy to certain foods or bee stings, and/or requires special medical intervention (e.g., asthma, diabetes, seizures, etc.) please notify the school nurse and bring in that treatment order from the child’s doctor.
8. Some students may need to self-medicate for certain chronic health conditions. Students who need to self-medicate with a prescription drug must have a medication authorization “self-administration” form on file with the school nurse, which includes the physician and parent/guardian signatures. Forms are available from the school nurse, main office or online at